Yves St. Chino


I've been reading about Yves Klein this week. "The Evolution of Art towards the Immaterial" is a good one. Can't find it on the internet. I am intrigued, seduced, charmed by his method. Here is a quote from THE CHELSEA HOTEL MANIFESTO:

Just to cite one example of the anthropometric errors found within the deformed ideas spread by the international press - I speak of that group of Japanese painters who with great refinement used my method in a strange way. In fact, these painters actually transformed themselves into living brushes. By diving themselves in color and then rolling on their canvases, they became representative of ultra-action-painters! Personally, I would never attempt to smear paint over my body and thus to become a living brush; to the contrary, I would rather put on my tuxedo and don white gloves. (italics mine) It would never cross my mind to soil my hands with paint. Detached and distant, the work of art must be completed under my eyes and under my command. As the work begins its completion, I stand there - present at the ceremony, immaculate, calm, relaxed, perfectly aware of what is taking place and ready to receive the art being born into the tangible world.

There is no doubt that I too am entering a blue period, however, this is not to say that other colors will not find there way into the mix.


3 comments:

the internet said...

I couldnt help but read that to myself, with the voice in my head sounding like chino/chico

Jill said...

:-) I agree

the internet said...

-(Assuming this was posted by Valerie)-
Sorry for such a late comment:
I think you might be selling yourself short by saying you are entering a blue period and nothing more. Your work is more than just the overall command, controlling the piece's arrival into existence. Your hand is also immersed in each loop; each loop just as integral as the next, built together one by one to create your material (this seems very connected). Although this may not be as extremely connected to you as using your body as a brush, you should deny total detachment from your materials. The "detached and distant" seems to be almost a curatorial practice of creating.